All students interested in learning more about joining a fraternity and sorority at UC Merced are encouraged to participate in Fall 2019 Recruitment. The following are the dates for Spring 2020 Recruitment:
Panhellenic Sorority Primary Recruitment: Friday, January 24th, 2020 - Sunday, January 26th, 2020 (Deadline to Register: Friday, January 24th, 2020 at 12:00PM)
Social Fraternity Recruitment: Monday, January 27th, 2020 - Sunday, February 2nd, 2020 (Deadline to Register: Friday, January 31st, 2020 at 11:59pm)
Multicultural/NALFO Sorority Chapter Recruitment: Monday, January 27th, 2020 - Sunday, February 9th, 2020 (Deadline to Register: Friday, February 7th, 2020 at 11:59pm)
Professional Fraternity Recruitment: Monday, February 3rd, 2020 - Sunday, February 9th, 2020 (Deadline to Register: Friday, February 7th, 2020 at 11:59pm)
Expansion Chapter(s): Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. - Thursday, January 23rd, 2020, 5:30pm-8:30pm in KL 217
Registration and participation in all recruitment types is FREE to all students, thanks to sponsorship from the Associated Students of the University of California, Merced (ASUCM).
If you are interested in participating in recruitment, you are REQUIRED to register utilizing the following link:
Students interested in Spring 2020 Recruitment must meet the following requirements:
- Have at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA;
- Be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours;
- Earned a minimum of 12 units as a full-time student in a post-secondary institution after high school graduation;
- Be in good academic standing with UC Merced; and
- Transfer students who have earned less than 12 University of California credits need to provide a transcript as verification of GPA eligibility (upload included in this form or a physical copy can be turned into the OSL Front Desk for Hayley Montoya, GRAN 163). A transcript must be received before the final day of registration.
- Potential New Member Rights and Responsibilities
- Recruitment Violation Report Form
- How to Post Flyers in Housing Spaces
How Recruitment Works:
Recruitment is the process by which one joins a fraternity or sorority. Recruitment provides potential new members (PNMs) an opportunity to learn more about the various organizations at UC Merced. Each day, each fraternity or sorority will be holding events for potential new members to come and learn about their organization. PNMs are encouraged to ask questions, get to know current members and alumni, and to find the organization that is the best fit for them. PNMs are encouraged to attend as many events as possible throughout the week.
How Membership Intake Works (NPHC Organizations):
Spring 2020 will be the first we have a NPHC-affiliated sorority on our campus! Below is how Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. scheduled will look like:
- Recruitment Event: Thursday, January 23rd, 2020, 5:30pm-8:30pm in KL 217
- Interviews of Candidates
- Orientation for Invited Candidates
- Candidate Education Period
How Primary Recruitment Works for Panhellenic (NPC) Sorority Primary Recruitment:
This is recruitment for Delta Delta Delta, Delta Gamma, Kappa Kappa Gamma, and Phi Mu. It is a three day process, Friday-Sunday, based on mutual selection.
- Friday, January 24th, 2020 – Sisterhood Night: Please plan to be available ~4:30pm - 11:00pm
- Saturday, January 25th, 2020 - Philanthropy Day: Please plan to be available ~11:30am - 6:00pm
- Sunday, January 26th, 2020 - Preference Brunch and Bid Night: Please plan to be available ~8:00am-1:30pm, 5:30-9:00pm
The above times are approximate timeframes, you may end earlier depening on schedules. It is important to be able to attend all three days of recruitment. If there is a day you need to leave early or come late, it is best to let us know as soon as possible so we can try to accomodate your schedule. You can bring any school work you need because there are the occasional break times.
Fees Associated with Membership
Membership in a fraternity or sorority does have a fee associated with it. These fees are called "dues." Dues range between organizations, and they fund the activities and costs associated with operating the chapter. Some examples of where the dues money goes include: membership badge/pin, insurance costs, social events, community service programs, etc. It is a good idea to talk to members of each organization to determine if membership is affordable for you. Many students hold part time jobs to help cover their fees. Scholarships and payment plans are also available to members in most organizations.
Fraternity and sororities at UC Merced are committed to building leadership skills, supporting excellence in academics, promoting community service and philanthropic opportunities, and cultivating life-long friendships through the bonds of brotherhood and sisterhood . Simply, we call these: Leadership, Scholarship, Service, and Friendship.
We encourage you to get to know the current fraternities and sororities recognized on campus!
Fraternity & Sorority Life at UC Merced consists of:
- Social Fraternities:
- Kappa Sigma
- Omega Delta Phi Fraternity, Inc.
- Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity
- Pi Lambda Phi Fraternity
- Sigma Chi
- Sigma Tau Gamma:
- Panhellenic (NPC) Sororities
- Delta Delta Delta
- Delta Gamma
- Kappa Kappa Gamma
- Phi Mu
- National Association of Latino Fraternal Organizations (NALFO) Sororities:
- Kappa Delta Chi Sorority, Inc.
- Lambda Theta Nu Sorority Inc.
- Multicultural Sororities:
- Sigma Theta Psi Multicultural Sorority, Inc.
- Professional Fraternities:
- Alpha Kappa Psi
- Alpha Phi Omega
- Delta Epsilon Mu
- Delta Sigma Pi
- Phi Alpha Delta
- Phi Delta Epsilon
- Theta Tau
- Expansion Chapters:
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
Past Spring Recruitment Guide and Schedule HERE:
*Note: You are not allowed to receive a bid from any Fraternity and Sorority Life organization without registering. You are allowed to join 1 organization per semester.