Purpose of Recruitment Counselor:
- Promote interest among potential new members (PNMs) during the recruitment process.
- Make every PNM feel s/he has an unbiased and caring guide throughout the recruitment process.
- Promote positive attitudes toward all sororities, fraternities, Fraternity and Sorority Council and Fraternity and Sorority Life in general though her/his own actions and attitudes.
- Make the recruitment experience an enjoyable and memorable experience by developing relationships between Recruitment Advisors (Rho Alphas) and PNMs through social gatherings, informational sessions, icebreakers and one-on-one counseling.
- Stop rumors that are harmful to PNMs or fraternity/sorority organizations.
- Understand and explain all recruitment rules, mechanics and schedules.
- Be available to PNMs to answer questions and provide guidance in one-on-one situations.
- Educate all PNMs on the benefits of being part of Fraternity and Sorority Life.
- To remain disassociated and impartial from own chapter in order to become a greater ambassador for the Greek community.
Recruitment Counselor Expectations:
- Meetings and Training: In order to explain the role and expectations of all Recruitment Advisors (Rho Alphas), as well as practice advisor techniques and get to know one another, orientation and trainings will be held.
- Disassociation: This is the denial of any connection or involvement with one's fraternity or sorority for a temporary period of time. All FSC/PFC executive officers and recruitment advisors (Rho Alphas) must disassociate from their organizations in order to provide a safe guide for PNMs throughout recruitment. Disassociation means keeping one's affiliation confidential through not wearing or promoting letters, symbols or insignia, not attending organization events, etc. A complete explanation of disassociation will be provided to all selected recruitment advisors (Rho Alphas).
- Recruitment Events: Recruitment advisors (Rho Alphas) are expected to work a portion of the shifts at all "Go FSL" events, as well as attend all recruitment days in order to assist with set up, logistics and counseling during the day and clean up.
- Punctuality and Attendance: Attendance is crucial to the recruitment process, and therefore, tardiness and absences will not be tolerated. Recruitment advisors are expected to be in attendance and on time for all events and meetings unless the VP of Sororities and Fraternities or the coordinator of Fraternity and Sorority Life has excused them. All who are selected and are unable to attend these mandatory events may be dismissed from their position if they have more than two unexcused absences or more than three tardies.
Recruitment advisor responsibilities during Formal Recruitment include, but are not limited to:
- Facilitate registration/check-in process for PNMs before during formal recruitment.
- Prepare a social event for all PNMs as an opportunity to get excited and ask questions as well as get to know the other PNMs.
- Supervise a group of PNMs throughout recruitment. Retain them in the process, remind them to keep an open mind, answer questions, make it fun and serve as a leader.
- Model appropriate attitude, behavior, and attire for PNMs.
- Have knowledge of and properly use recruitment terminology (i.e., not saying "rush").