UC Merced is a community that aims to support the positive growth and development of all students through co-curricular involvement in organizations, teams and community service. We are committed to the promotion of close-knit and comfortable environments where students can get involved, build meaningful relationships and develop leadership skills. Though many organizations have certain requirements that new members must fulfill, legitimate obligations of membership should not put students in danger or humiliate, degrade or abuse them regardless of a person’s willingness to participate.
All group activities must respect the dignity of an individual. Any activity which is demeaning, embarrassing, or mentally or physically injurious to an individual or group is considered hazing and is not permitted by the University or State of California.
UC Student Code of Conduct
"Participation in hazing or any method of initiation or pre-initiation into a campus organization or other activity engaged in by the organization or members of the organization at any time that causes, or is likely to cause, physical injury or personal degradation or disgrace resulting in psychological harm to any student or other person." (Conduct Standard 102.12)
California State Law
"'Hazing’ or ‘haze’ is conduct which causes, or is likely to cause, bodily danger, physical harm, or personal degradation or disgrace resulting in physical or mental harm to another person in the course of the other person’s pre-initiation into, initiation into, affiliation with, holding office in, or maintaining membership in any organization." (California Penal Code, Section 245.6)
- Hayley Montoya, Coordinator for Fraternity and Sorority Life and Student Conduct, email@example.com 209-228-2584
- Doug Zuidema, Assistant Director of Student Life, Conduct and Integrity Programs, firstname.lastname@example.org, 209-228-5442
- Student Conduct, email@example.com, 209-228-5433 (209-CAT-LIFE)
- UC Merced Police Department, firstname.lastname@example.org, 209-228-2677
- Office of the Ombuds, 209-228-4410
- Greek Anti-Hazing Hotline (toll-free and anonymous), 888-668-4293 (888-NOT-HAZE)