You are hereHome › About
UC Merced currently recognizes 11 social fraternity and sorority organizations, 7 professional fraternities, two governing councils, and an honor society.
Recognized fraternities and sororities at UC Merced are supported and thrive with the following benefits:
- Interaction with the other members of the UC Merced fraternity/sorority community, including over 1000 students and 18 chapters
- Use of UC Merced facilities, including but not limited to rooms and tabling space
- Use of on-campus Agency Account and club email address
- Programming, advising, support, and training related to leadership development, risk management and other topics from Fraternity & Sorority Life and the Office of Student Life
- Participation in the Fall/Informal and Formal Recruitment processes required for fraternity/sorority membership at UC Merced
- Involvement in Fraternity & Sorority Council, Presidents Round Table and Order of Omega (the FSL honor society)
- Involvement in UC Merced community-wide events, including but not limited to Orientation, Preview Day, Bobcat Day, FSL Week and Be a Better Member Week
- Recognition through the All-FSL Grade Report, and UC Merced Leadership Awards awards ceremony
Recognition of Fraternities & Sororities
The names of the fraternities and sororities listed on this page are the only chapters recognized at UC Merced. Be aware of any group that says they are a fraternity or sorority, but is not listed on this page or is not registered with the Office of Student Life. In the absence of recognition from the Fraternity & Sorority Council, Professional Fratenrity Council, or the Office of Student Life and UC Merced, fraternity/sorority organizations may not function as an organized group on campus. Because unrecognized groups do not receive any form of support, oversight or advisement from the University, there are significant concerns related to potential lack of liability insurance and policies for risk management, hazing, sexual harassment or other related high-risk activities. We strongly discourage participation in unrecognized groups.
- Sigma Delta Alpha: recognition never given; acted without regard for Expansion Policy
- Sigma Theta Psi: The current city-wide chapter is not recognized by the University. STP will be expanding at UC Merced in Spring 2017.
- Omega Phi Beta Sorority Inc.: recognition never given
- Sigma Alpha Epsilon: Recognition suspended until Fall 2017
- Chapters & Councils
- Fraternity & Sorority Council
- Professional Fraternity Council
- Order of Omega
- How to Join
- Parents & Family